Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Wulpurgis Nacht

Walpulgis nightIn my absence as of late, I have tried to take some of my extra time and focus on myself and possibly widen my horizons and or mind. Some times this is fruitful. In reading my almanac the last few days, it urged me to explore what is referred to as Wulpurgis Nacht. Having a German background I knew it was of German origin and I have to say it heightened my curiosity.
 
I love how timing  plays such a key role in our lives.  I often think people do not realize this wonderful mystery of everyday life.  How the powers beyond give us messages at just the right time when we may need such words or nudges.  This urging I think was one of them. 
 
imagesCA0I1OMKWhen I started to research Wulpurgis Night, I learned that it is a name given to the manner in which Germans (and many other cultures) celebrate May Eve.  It is believed that on Brocken – the highest peak of the Harz Mountain in Germany – at this time a strange light can be seen - known as the Brocken Spectre.  Many think this light comes from the those who celebrate the pagan ways.  Of course with this explanation also comes those who relate it to evil sorcery, Satanism, etc.  But then anyone can find bad in something if they set their mind to it.  I have to laugh at the irony of that because it is just as easy to find good in something if they set their mind to it as well.
 
bonfireToday marks the eve of May Day, Beltane, and so on.  A time long ago when there were those who danced around fires and asked the spring time to hasten forth.  The bonfires were lit to ward off evil as well as lend a cheerful atmosphere to gather and commune with one another.    There will be many who venture out into the night this eve to once again keep the tradition alive.  Will you be one of them? 

3 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

I'm celebrating Walpurgis Night with a German meal, candles, and a visit with the ancestors. Wishing you all the best, my friend.
Mary

Magic Love Crow said...

Wishing you many blessings ;o) Yes, I will be celebrating ;o)

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Yes we will if the wind dies down we even intend to jump over fire....well not me because I can't jump but the better abled members of the fam.
I love finding out new things like this. Thanks Moon Mama...miss you sweet cheeks. Oma Linda