Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Birthday Benjamin James


Twenty seven years ago today I lay in a hospital bed. My doctor, a man who loved cigars and tried frantically to smoke them while on rounds, would stick his head in occasionally to make sure I was ok. Eventually he sent me walking the halls and told the nurses not to call him until it was time. You probably have guessed that I was in labor and about to give birth. Yet this time was my first time. Little did I know that in a few short hours I would be holding my first born, Benjamin James, and screaming for some fried chicken.

BJ as we call him came into the world a strapping baby of 9lbs 9oz. Let’s just say his head paved the way for my next two that would come later in life. I was glad that I had a large baby. The idea of having a small little one of 6 or 7 pounds scared me. BJ came into the world half grown. I remember that summer spending many a day in the park beneath the shade of the large oaks that were scattered around. I would read to him and play him music as he slept his afternoons away. Needless to say he was nice and tan before the summer was over.

I still remember the first time I felt him move in my stomach. I was sitting in the college library, reading when I felt what was like a small flutter in my stomach. I did not think much at first yet when it occurred the next time I knew it was him. That pregnancy was magical to me. It was the first therefore everything that I experienced was new for me. I remember evenings sitting on my sofa and talking softly to him inside of me. Wondering and at times worrying about all that was about to happen to me. Yet I can honestly say it was one of the most wonderful times of my life and one I would never change or trade for the world.

Today BJ has grown to a strapping young man. He still has those deep blue eyes that seem to pierce right through you. His smile, when he gives it, could melt an iceberg. He always could get anything with that smile. He is still a quiet boy who loves life in his own way. He still loves good cooking and big dogs. (His fiancée Brandi is a great cook and he owns a pit bull and a mastiff) He still is my little boy. Funny… although he is my oldest he always seems to still be my baby.

So on this Cinco de Mayo,
I wish my little boy a big happy birthday.
You will never fully be aware of
just how much I truly love you dear.
You will forever be my sweet baby boy.

Love you Bunches
Mom

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy Birthday to BJ! And Happy Birth Day to you!

mxtodis123 said...

Wow, he was a big baby. Ouch!!! And he has grown into a fine man. Happy Birthday, Benjamin James.
Mary

brandi said...

~such memories...so precious is the gift of a child and all thye fill us with...happy birthday to yours...may his new year be filled with an abundance of love good memories and moments to forever savor...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

Judy said...

Pregnancy stories always make a person think of their own ... deep sigh ...

KrisB said...

What an awesome Tribute!! :)
Thank you for sharing!

Marie S said...

Happy Birthday BJ!
May you get all you could ever want and more than you could ever imagine!

Elizabeth Rhiannon said...

Happy Birthday to your big boy :) I just stumbled upon your Blogger page by accident (IF there are any!) and would like to share MY joy with you; today also being MY sons birthday! :) My blog today, titled 'Day of D'...I hope you can stop by for a read. Have a wonderful day, hopefully spent with your cherished Taurus as I will be with mine :)
Blessings
~ER~
elizabethrhiannon.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday titty baby!

Rue said...

Happy Birthday Benjamin! Beautiful eyes, indeed!

Dede said...

Happy Birthday BJ! Yes he was a big baby, I think I will stay with my 7 pounders. Memories of the first born seem to last a lifetime, like it was yesterday.

(((HUGS)))

Nydia said...

What a beautiful tribute for a beautiful son! This was lovely to read - and the photos are cute!