Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Muhammad - The Story of the Last Prophet : A Book Review

Some time back I was given another wonderful opportunity to be involved with TLC and another book review. The book I was asked to review intrigued me for many reasons. First I am a huge fan of Deepak Chopra and his teachings so I knew the chance of me enjoying the book in question was highly probable. Next the subject manner of his new novel interested me tremendously. Needless to say, Muhammad – A Story of the Last Prophet by Deepak Chopra met all my expectations and then some.

The depiction of a religion has always been a bit of a sensitive subject yet to attempt to depict the religion of Islam and the prophet Muhammad could prove to be even more of a challenge. In today’s climate this topic itself could cause some stir and controversy. It has saddened me in recent days as well as long before,  the conflict that has occurred due to the fact that many do not have a clear understanding of Islam and what their faith represents.  Chopra does not bore us with a book that is filled with a list of facts that are above our heads and out of reach of many of our understandings.  Instead he takes the story of the man Muhammad and relates his life to us in a method that helps us to better understand who and what he represents.  This story is told from many peoples perspectives thus giving a well rounded feel of the full presence he held. 


It is the lack of knowledge that makes so many of us as ignorant as we are at times.  It is through understanding that we eventually have the ability to see from a perspective that may not necessarily be our own. 
The reading of this novel has only deepened that thought in me. Although I know that this is a novel and thus written as if to tell the story of Muhammad. It is not to be considered an exact rendering. Although I will state that via the references that Chopra makes it appears that he has tried desperately to stay as true as he possibly can out of respect for the Islam faith.

I myself have always been a person who thinks that the knowledge of other faiths only makes one stronger. It helps to avoid some of the ignorance that is often seen when some speak of faiths that they know little if nothing about. Deepak Chopra gives an easy understanding, or lets say a simple start for the beginner to learn a little about a faith that in many cases they may know nothing about expect for the negative reputation it is sometimes given. I think that those who chose to read this novel will be surprised at the similarities it holds to the Christian faith as well as any other beliefs that others hold. It tells of the same trials that we have all endured in our struggle to stand up for what we believe to be true. An open mind and willing heart is also helpful as we face the fact that we all have our own way of interpreting God.
 
For more information on Muhammad – A Story of the Last Prophet go to TLC as well as Deepak Chopra’s website.

4 comments:

RA said...

Once again, wise words! :)
I have never heard of Chopra, I need to take a look.

AkasaWolfSong said...

I love Deepak Chopra too Janie and I am sure this will be a great read! I'm hoping I can find it at my library...I will try to get this book next time I go. Thank You for such a great review and thoughts that all of us should embrace. In my humble opinion it is the fear of other religions and cultures which keep us bound...if only we could be a bit more heart centered and balanced this world would be a much more peaceful place to live in.
Many Brilliant Blessings Janie!!
xoxo

Heather J. @ TLC Books said...

You make a great point about the need to understand other religions - how else can we understand the people around us if we do not understand the core of what they believe? Thanks so much for being a part of this tour - I'm very glad that you enjoyed the book.

Anonymous said...

I too love Deepak Chopra. I look forward to reading this book. I have seen a couple of reviews on it, and most people just didn't get it. I dont think they actually tapped into the deeper meaning behind the book, as you did. I am glad to see a review that I think would reflect my perspective on the book.