Friday, July 24, 2009

Fairy Honey Cakes



Cooking has always been dear to my heart. It seems that when I prepare something for others to eat, it is like giving them a little piece of me. I have always enjoyed eating, especially something that is delicious, and therefore I strive to give my company that same experience when they partake of my creations. They are not grand or exotic, mainly just home-made and tasty. Simple home cook food is what I am most fond of. I am blessed to have local growers who supply me with a variety of garden vegetables and fruits. Farm fresh eggs are also available. I like the natural taste of putting it all together yourself. Yes I know it takes a bit longer to prepare but it tastes so good…

Beginning today and continuing each Wednesday hereafter, a new and creative recipe and/or kitchen tip will be introduced. And requests, feel free to ask. I may not know yet I am willing to try and find out. Today’s recipe is my Fairy Honey Cakes. This is a recipe I only recently found, yet loved it the first time I made them. Needing a cake for my wine & cake rites I stumbled onto it. They are a small spice cake that is simply wonderful with a cup of hot tea or coffee. The honey lends itself to create a sweet crunchy top that is simply to die for. I usually make these in cooler weather, yet recently I found some of the most delicious local honey that I just had to make a batch. Enjoy.

1 ½ cup honey (fresh local honey is best)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup brown sugar packed
½ cup butter (real butter is best)
1 egg
2 cups flour (I prefer the unbleached)
½ teaspoon baking soda
Approximately 2 Tablespoons milk

Sift flour, cinnamon, and soda together in small bowl. In large bowl cream butter and sugar. Separate egg. Add yolk to butter and sugar mix and set white aside for later. Add honey gradually to butter mix. Stirring until blended. Fold in flour mix slowly. Add milk as needed so that the batter is stirable but thick. Whisk the remaining egg white to a stiff froth and fold gently into the batter. Fill muffin tins ½ full. Sprinkle a little sugar on the tops. Natural brown sugar works wonderful. Bake at 425 for 15 -20 minutes.

Blessings
Raelin

0 comments: