Wednesday, November 17, 2010

WanderLust Wednesday - An Introduction

It seems as of late I have had (or found) little time to do some of the things that I dearly love. I am really not sure as to why this may be. I have even wondered if it is something to be concerned with at all. None the less, this last week has seemed a bit scattered to me.

Yes, my birthday falls this week and I wonder if the fact that I am turning 49 and beginning my 50th year of life has something to do with it. I have never been one to really worry much about age. I have never felt the numbers that represent my age has anything to do with the way that I feel, therefore I never really thought much about the fact that they were increasing. I do not see myself as one who struggled with turning 20, 30, or even 40. I do however remember thinking I would never reach the age of 13. Why for some reason I thought that this age would catapult me into adolescence or something… Ah the strange thinking’s of a child.

I remember the summer before I turned 13. My parents were gone on vacation and me and my siblings were staying with friends. I of course was the youngest and therefore barred from all “fun” activities that the older kids were doing. My highlight each day was when they would all leave and I would sneak the Rolling Stones “Sticky Fingers” album into the bedroom and play the record and unzip the jeans on the front cover to reveal the underwear beneath… I thought it was so cool and so mischievous… Goodness how far I have come... I mean I still like to unzip the cover of that album. Guess some things just never change.

Anyhow what does that have to do with doing the little things I really love? I don’t really know except that when I started to think about this coming year of my life I could not help but want to make it memorable. Not that I am excited about turning 50 years old. I mean I guess I could be like Sally O’Malley and say that at least I can still stretch, and kick and stretch….. And yes I still can put my feet behind my head… a feat I have always been quite proud of. It has been passed down to my daughter and to her daughter; Quite the family tradition. Yet there are other things that I would like to expound on also.

Thus I have decided that for the next year I am going to devote my Wednesday posts to reflection on the past 50 years as well as the next 50 to come. There has been so much change and transformation that has taken place over the years. Likewise there are so many aspirations and desires that I still hold inside of myself and the reminder of them could not hurt. Who knows in some cases it may actually get me off my butt to do some of them.

You may then ask why I chose the name Wednesday's Wanderlust.  Well I have always loved the word wanderlust.  It's meaning is "a strong longing for or impulse towards wandering".  I have always been one who has been prone to wander in any area of life, whether it be realistically or figuratively.  Thus I felt it fit nicely as wandering is somewhat the approach  I have always taken.  Wander til you find what it is you are looking for and sometimes wander a bit more.... Exploration is the key to discovery isn't it. 

17 comments:

The StarFire Witch / Bald Girl said...

Happy Birthday!!! :D

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Happy Birthday Janie girl and I look forward to the discoveries you will share with us on Wednesdays.
There is a funny little shop that appears here in Burque for only 5 weeks each year. The folks who "own" the store travel for 10 months of the year, finding the items for their shop....Wanderlust. It is a virtual wonderland of items from all over the globe.

My birthday wish for you is love, happiness, sweet grand kisses and more information about yourself evolving right in front of your eyes. You deserve the best dear one.
The (windy) Olde Bagg, Linda

Tracy DeLuca said...

Looking forward to your Wednesday posts! I think this is a wonderful idea.

Merry ME said...

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.

- Marcel Proust

mxtodis123 said...

Your feelings are normal, but let me tell you, my 50th year was the best. I finally became my own person. Happy birthday.
Mary

brandi said...

~this will be a beautiufl way to reflect upon those years gone by...i can't wait!! on a side note...did your package arrive yet??? wishing you a wonderful week ahead!!! much l♥ve and light upon you always~

Joane said...

This sounds wonderful! I look forward the Wednesday posts. I'm 45 (but going on 10, forever!). I'll enjoy the wanderings with you!

Teresa said...

I just love the saying, "Not all who wander are lost." I just wish I could remember who said it. I know I've managed to do a lot of meandering along my path. I love this idea and look forward to Wednesday's Wanderlust.

Wendy said...

What a great idea about your "50 Wednesday Posts." I absolutely loved "Sticky Fingers," well, still do ;) See, we were able to have the good stuff like real music albums. I mean Mick wouldn't have been "Mick" without the "Sticky Fingers" album cover, right? Happy, happy birthday early. May this year be full of beautiful magick, laughter and love and sorrows left behind for you.

The Traveler said...

Happy Womb Liberation Day!
What a great idea for putting those ideas out there =).

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday to You!!! ♥

the wild magnolia said...

Happy Birthday. Happy celebration of 50 years. Happy remembrances.

Wishing the best of everything to settle in your life and unexpected blessings on your birthday!

audrey said...

Janie, Happy Happy Birthday!! I think you'll find that your 50s will be some of your best years!!
I wish you many blessings!!
♥ audrey

Judy said...

Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday to Mother Moon...
Happy Birthday to you...

AkasaWolfSong said...

Ohhhh..You are going to love the 50's Janie...the best is yet to come Sister/Friend!!! :)

Happy, Happy Birthday to you and may your year be filled with Wanderlust...the kind that always leaves you intoxicated and heady with the essence of it all!

Many Blessings for your New Year!
xoxo

Jo said...

Happy Birthday!! Oh wow, what a wonderful way to celebrate! I'm looking forward to reading those reflections.
Hugs xxx

Theresa MacNaughton said...

Happy birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful day. I think your idea for Wanderlust Wednesday is a great one - and I will look forward to reading your posts. Theresa