Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Coming of Yule


This morning I rose to a cold blusterly day.  The wind was steady and full from the north and the darkness of the clouds affirmed the prediction of the weatherman that rain would soon be falling.  As I made the morning coffee in the quietness of my now empty house, (except for my sleeping husband) I knew that it would not necessarily be quiet for long.  Thanksgiving is past this is true.  The preperation of the big family meal which this year I prepared single handedly, is past and the visits from family members over the last week has also subsided.  There will be a bit of a lull in the commotion of the past week; A few days or possibly just one where I may have some down time to recoup from the prior week and the all the going ons it brought with it. 

Although I say this, I know it is not true.  Yule is in the distance; and the distance is not that vast.  It will approach quickly I know.  In some ways I am happy at this as December 21st is always a day I cherish as it means that the road to Spring is on the downside.  I am not much of a Winter person.  I don't do the cold very well.  Don't get me wrong, I love how Winter slows us all naturally down and allows us to reflect on ourselves and the areas of our lives that may need tending.  Yet the days without sunshine that at times occur can sometimes have a toll on me.  That is why I look forward to the turn in the road that will lead  us once more to Spring with warmer tempertures and yes.... more sunshine.

Also at this time I seem to always be full of things to do.  Most of my time is spent in the kitchen, which is a love of mine so I do not dread this too much.  I begin my Holiday baking/cooking officially tomorrow.  I like to send gifts out all during the month of December, especially when they are of the eating nature.  Sometimes I think that Holiday eating is as enjoyable as Holiday presents and so forth.  I have several new recipes I would like to try this year also and with my need for perfection in the kitchen I have a feeling that I may be testing some of these a couple times before they are send out.  This also gives me a good excuse to keep a little for myself and let Vincent have his share of taste tests.  Keep your fingers crossed as I would very much like to share some of them with my readers also. 

Then there is always the decorating of the house.  Vincent was a dear before Thanksgiving and put the lights up around the house.  I know it is way early yet it is nice to have them out of the way. Yet there are other things that I like to have out and around at this time of year.  Something that as the month progresses will need to be done.  The Christmas Quilt that I started for my grandkids is also in the final stages and will need to be finished and sent off shortly.  It seems the more I think on it, the more I realize I have to do...

Tomorrow also is when I draw the winners of my November Giveaway.  I am excited to do this.  Not yet sure what I will have planned for my December giveaway... Yet I know that I will need to think this one up in the next couple days.  If you have not already entered, you have until the time I draw tomorrow to sign up.  Just hit the link above. 

So... today may be somewhat of a day of rest for me.... I stress the word somewhat, as I still have the little chores to do that were neglected while company and more fun things were present last week, and then tomorrow starts another week.  I hope for you and yours that you have a wonderful Sunday and that your coming week is filled with only good things....


8 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

It will be here before we know it. Time seems to fly nowadays. I used to bake about 50 dozen cookies to give as gifts at Christmas. I would take a day off work and stay up all night just baking...all kinds of cookies in pretty little gift boxes. Haven't done that since we moved into this new apartment. The lack of space in the kitchen makes it a chore.
Mary

Mother Moon said...

mxtodis123... goodness 50 dozen yet I have a feeling if I took better count of mine I may be surprised what I do... I just found out today that I have to have a good chunk of them done by the 12th as we are doing Vincent's family Christmas then.... It will be a busy 2 weeks...

Bridgett said...

I truly wish I was a little more handy in the kitchen. I bet all your treats will be delicious! :)

It's rainy and cold here today as well. The rain started last night and is supposed to continue throughout the day, as the temperature drops. I've even heard there might be some snow showers later in the week. Of course, the kids were excited to hear that! LOL

Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful day! I'd love to see pics of the quilt you've made. I bet it's lovely.

)O(
boo

Rue said...

So happy that your holiday went over well, even with the added chairs at the table and the bodies in your home. We always make it work somehow! My mother is notorious for inviting half the town to every holiday, and I'm afraid I've caught her "come one, come all" disease!

Enjoy your time in the kitchen, and do share your new recipies if they turn out to be something you like!

Lyon said...

Lovely post, probably the first one I've read so far this year that has actually conveyed to me a yule tide feeling - which I'm *really* having a hard time getting into this year, so thank you for that. ;-)

I hope you enjoyed your day of rest, my dear - you deserve it!

Dede said...

I am not a winter person either. I love the snow, makes everything look so peaceful and clean. We don't get snow here, just the wet cold. Would much rather have the sunshine and warmth. So glad your holiday went well!

(((HUGS)))

Jblover109Woozworld said...

It is good to rest after a big holiday like Thanksgiving! I am like you about enjoying making eating type gifts for people during the holidays! Have a nice day!

Iris said...

I enjoy this part of the holiday season. It is the beginning, the part where I am not yet sick of the holiday music and when we put up our decorations. Before all of the last minute stress of gifts and money. I feel more in the spirit of the season now than I might in the end.

I made scarves for my family last year and I am glad you mentioned cooking. Now I have another gift to give them this year as I am sure they do not need more scarves!

I am excited to see the results of your giveaway and to see what new generous idea you have thought up for December!

Warm Blessings!