Thursday, January 28, 2010

And So It Begins

I awoke early this morning to the sound of rain falling.  Earlier the night before the weather men assured us that it would be a dry morning and that the majority of the storm to come would not be here until noon today... As usual they were wrong.  It was barely light outside yet as I glanced out the back door the porch appeared to be only wet.  As I made the morning coffee I could hear the rain continue.  The picture to the left is  only the beginning of what I know is to come as the day continues.  Even since I took the picture the ice has accumulated more.   Already there are reports of loss of power.  The rain is to continue throughout the day, not turning to sleet or snow until after dark.  For any of you who have encountered an ice storm, you know what this means.... There is a very good possibility for significant ice accumulation.  It will be a true miracle if we don't lose our power.  It is just a question of when it will happen and how long it will remain out.  Last storm like this it was a total of 4 days.  However this was nothing compared to others who were without power for close to 2 weeks.  Yet enough about this..... We will deal with it as it comes and with whatever it decides to give to us.  As we all know there is no stopping Mother Nature when she wants to do something. 

In some ways I am sort of eager for the cold and ice.  Strange isn't it.  I say this because I know that next week is Imbolc, the turning point of winter.  A day of welcoming the sun back and saying goodbye to the cold clutches of winter.  Although I know that winter can still take hold even after February 2nd, especially here in Oklahoma, I can not help but feel that it is symbolic of the beginning of the end.  One last hurrah...

Yesterday was a beautiful spring like day.  Temperatures in the mid 60s, fluffy white clouds with hues of grey and the brillant blue sky.  It was a day that you could not help but be outdoors doing something just so that you could enjoy it.  What a contrast from the weather we have today.  Cold blusterly winds, freezing rain, ice coating everything and anything that it lands on.  I told Vincent, it was likened to the day before giving birth.... You have all this energy and feel wonderful, then labor begins and hard stuff begins.... It was a blessing however, as it allowed so many, including ourselves to prepare for what was to come.

It seemed as if everything was active yesterday.
The birds yesterday played throughout the yard and trees yesterday as if themselves enjoying the warmth, knowing that today would not be as nice. Even the honey bees were out yesterday trying to eat from my bird feeders.  I knew that the weather to come would be bad as they were busily trying to eat anything they could to prepare.


Today  the birds  huddled around the bird feeders at first light,  scurrying to eat all they could before the frozen ice covered their access to their nourishment.   I always keep an bucket of seed in the house at times like these.  I am sure to toss some out occasionally across the back porch so that they will have something when the weather is inclement.  The wind blows them sliding across the wood as they try to eat the seeds that land near them.  They often huddled on the south side of the porch just under the window to where I write.  I am sure they will be there again today as the weather continues.


Although there is sorrow in the weather to come as I know that there will be trees that will suffer because of the weight of the ice they will bear.  I also know that it is  a time of cleansing.  When last our willows endured such a storm, I was heartbroken at the devastation they encountered.  From tall standing stately trees, that swayed so softly in the breeze, they were reduced to heavy laden trees whose arms now hung to the ground.  Some could not take the strain and gave in to the pain.  Others remained strong and as the ice melted rose once more to their stature.... This event however enabled us to take the weaker parts from the trees which in turn made them stronger.  I know that we will more than likely still lose some this time also, yet I am hopeful that they will not be as burdened as before.


As before I stated that there are others that this storm will effect, as this runs from New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and beyond... Some will get rain, some snow, others ice... To all of you, stay warm yet above all stay safe... blessings

12 comments:

J said...

Love the photos. We thought our coldness was over, the snow has gone and life was warm enough for us not to worry about coats. But no, yesterday its back. We are lucky not to suffer these ice storms where I am. Fingers crossed that your power stays on and if not that it returns quickly.

Jen

Me said...

Please becareful !!!

mxtodis123 said...

Hey, our weatherman did the same thing so you can imagine how surprised I was when I woke up to find the snow falling. It's stopped now, but tonight it's gonna be a deep freeze, and all that is gonna turn to ice. Couldn't happen last week when I was off, could it? Be careful with that ice.
Mary

Toni aka irishlas said...

Mother Nature can have a wicked sense of humor. Stay safe...

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Here I thought we were in for 3-6" and we have gotten nothing. Lots of awful wind, sideways snow sputters but nothing like they said we would. Downed trees and blowing everything everywhere but no moisture here in the city. I guess that the highway is open to Tucumcari but closed after that towards your way because of ice. The kids went to school and so I didn't have the day I expected. Please be safe my friend and stay warm. I'm excited about Imbolg this year as well. ((((hugs)))))

brandi said...

~isn't funny (ok not funny but you get what i am saying) how it can look so beautiful as you showed it to be yesterday and then you have this ice to endure...i wish you much warmth and safety...also that the ice be kind to your trees...we lost one of our favorite trees last year where we camp due to extreme flooding...so devasting...may the sun shine bright upon you...spreading and wrapping its warmth around all...brightest blessings~

Jblover109Woozworld said...

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the weather forecast lately! Ice is always a big deal. I agree it does devastate trees and greenery. Since we live here in the woods there are always many tree limbs down. Hope it doesn't come this way! You and family take care out there and don't go anywhere if you don't have to!

Dede said...

Oh my friend please be safe. Looks like it is getting an early start, not good. This winter has just been a mean one. With Imbolc next week, I know that it will soon be over. So glad that Vincent is there with you. Stay warm...

(((HUGS)))

Laura said...

right now they are telling us we will get mostly snow, i'm hopeful that is the case, i don't know that my trees would survive a big ice storm. stay safe!
blessings
~*~

Lyon said...

Am thinking of you and your trees and birds, Mamma. I hope it hasn't gotten too terribly nasty out your way.

Anonymous said...

I heard the weather report today and thought of you. I hope you are safe in your home and your power stays on during this time.

Willow

Bridgett said...

I'm so far behind....but I hope you weathered the ice storm with lots of blankets, cozy fires, and hot cocoa. :)

I've missed you! It just seems everything has been transpiring against me when it comes to catching up on blog reading.

)O(