Monday, January 4, 2010

Only 75 Days More


I am in such need of a warm thought.  I know that it is January and in most cases this means the temperatures are rarely what many would consider warm.  Yet a high of 17 degrees really..... Yes  I know that this is a cold year, that the temperatures are running about 20 degrees BELOW normal, and that Spring is still 75 days away.  I can handle the cold as long as Mr Sun comes out on occasion and shines a bit to brighten my days... Yet he has not been around as of late, at least not for a long period.  I do not know if any of you suffer from winter blues; you know when the sun does not shine for a period of time and you start to sort of feel down...

Each time he peeks his head out even for the slightest time I try my best to soak up all the rays of him I possibly can.  This week is suppose to be another cold one.  The coldest so far, at least that is what they say.  I have my tea stocked up.... plenty of crafts to keep me busy, and there is always the kitchen and my trusty stove.  Cooking seems to cheer me.  Yet I have made more candies and other goodies this year then usual, at least I have lots of friends and family I can give it all too. 

A big pot of chicken soup is on my stove right now.  I have plans to make a batch of homemade chicken pot pies for the moms and also a big pan of homemade butter rolls.  Some older bananas are also calling me to make a couple loaves of banana nut bread.  I feel like a bear who has gone into hibernation except I can't sleep so I am cooking everything in sight.  Like I said before, thank goodness for friends and family who will gladly eat it all.

So I look to the future... 75 days from now to be exact.... To my beloved Spring time.  I have plans for my yard I want so much to start working on.  A fairy garden beneath my old elm.  I will be clearing out some of the brush behind it and making a small area to sit.  It has always been a magical tree with so much activity, I see it only right to pay it homage.  I look forward to those days when the sun will shine and the birds will sing.  Not because it is cold and they want more sunflower seeds and suet cakes but because it is finally warm and spring has finally sprung.  Sometimes I think I am a lost cause.....

16 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

That chicken soup sounds mighty good about now. We're not quite as cold as you, but if you have never been caught in a New York City crosswind, you don't know what cold is. Right about now 75 days seems like an eternity to wait. LOL!!!
Mary

Lucy said...

Spring is my all time favorite season and I just shake in anticipation!

Judith said...

Your not alone, the winter blues are killing me.... but I never thought of a countdown!!! Makes me feel much better!!!! I'm counting down with you!

brandi said...

~we are enduring rain, cold, wet, very dark days...i just recieved my first seed catalogue this afternoon and have been browsing through with great anticipation for spring to come...what will my garden hold...as for the bear hibernating..atleast you are keeping busy and not allowing the winter blues to get you completely down! i find joy in cooking too and those who get to enjoy your nourishing food i am quite sure they are thankful for you...brightest blessings~

Mother Moon said...

Judith... I must get a counter now and add it to my site... and you are right it does help....if only through distraction

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I love spring, I love autumn better but I love spring. Soft light, sweet air, lovely sounds and the faeries stretch their wings and begin the business at hand. To help me get my garden in order, tend to the flowers and birds and bees. All I can do at this time of year is plan, wait and tempt the house faeries to come out and play. They are much more shy than their bolder outdoor fae cousins.
Mention the word spring and you can almost hear a rustle of enthusiasm in your being, yes?

redic, oh my the thoughts tend towards the naughty this time of night....to fix a displaced one. Sorta like a retread.

It really has been a rather long day. Night, night.

Rue said...

I am with you. The snow keeps falling outside the window (the power has only been out once, thank the gods) and I just want to hide!

I'll have to get out tomorrow, or I'll never leave the house.

Glad the cooking keeps you busy - and the house smelling wonderful, I'll bet!

Anonymous said...

Winter can be brutal, but I find that when I "wish away" something I miss the most obvious and best parts of it. Relish in the warm comfort food that is Winter, the soft cozy blankets and time sitting around with loved ones relaxing and passing the time. It's a time of quiet and reflection and I couldn't live without it. Just as I couldn't live all year in the warmth and oppressive heat of Summer, (which is my least favorite Season) but I honor and appreciate it for what it is. This lesson took me about 5 years to learn : )

The Silver Age Sara said...

I agree with you but hearing it's only 75 days until Spring makes it seem not so bad. We're in the Ozarks and it's actually colder right now than in Vermont and the one thing I love to do is sit by the wood stove and read but there is no wood stove here. I try to walk each day and accept the beauty of winter as a part of the cycle of life but I too long for those days of warmth.

Tamara said...

Sounds wonderful....yummm. I moved my desk next to the front window so I could sit and feel the warm sun. If I look at the blue sky and sun i can imagine there is no snow on the ground. lol I get cabin fever so bad every year....

Dede said...

Oh I am so wanting to be warm again! It is supposed to be 12 degrees tonight. I am going to start seeds this week in pots, then when Spring is here I can take them out. Until then the pots and I will stay in the house.

((HUGS)))

Lyon said...

I so feel your pain with the cold, my goodness it is FREEZING out there. It's like the last winter I spent freezing in MI, except now I'm much further south and I swear the arctic air has *followed me here on purpose.* lol

Your plans to stay busy and warm sound like good (and yummy) ones. When you say it's only 75 days until spring, it sounds a bit more tolerable. We can manage it. Though we might have to invest in a sun lamp. Or tanning bed sessions. Or at least a really warm blanket to hide under for the duration. ;-)

Jblover109Woozworld said...

Cooking is good for the soul and the body. I am glad you have lots of family members who enjoy your creations. Keep warm and cozy! Take care now :)

Tracy said...

Your kind of "hibernating" sounds good to me! You are welcome to come over here and make me some chicken soup....

Your plans for the spring sounds beautiful and I hope the days go swiftly by for you.

My word verification is reverb. Isn't that a real word?

Linda said...

Only 75 days to go, that doesn't sound so bad at all. Linda :)x

Bridgett said...

Have you ever thought of taking some vitamin D to make up for the lack of sunlight, which naturally gives our bodies the D vitamin? Many believe that's what causes (or at least contributes) to the winter doldrums...vitamin d deficiency.

I'm big into vitamins. :)

I sort of wish I was your neighbor so I could reap the benefits of all that yummy cooking!