Saturday, January 30, 2010

Surveying the Aftermath - The Beauty of Destruction

I finally ventured outdoors today to tend to the birds as well as to see the gifts that old man winter left me.  As I walked across the yard, it sounded as if I were walking across an icy lake that had been covered with snow.  The layer of ice we received at the beginning of our storm cracked beneath my feet as I made way through the ample layer of snow we received.  There was such a beautiful silence.  I could not help but love the sights and sounds around me.  I know that mother nature comes at times with such fury and leaves in her wake distruction, yet still there is such beauty in it also. 

The sun did not come out today as we had hoped it would, maybe tomorrow.  There was some melting yet it is very little.  I tended the birds with more food and some talk as I always do when I feed them.  The downy woodpeckers were glad to see me and the fresh suet cakes.  As well were the cardinals.  Their brillant red was such a beautiful contrast against the white of the snow and the crystal of the ice.   

I will light a candle tonight in preperation of Imbolc as well as full moon.  The cold moon they call it and rightly so.  It is living up to its name this year that is for sure.  I briefly saw it through the clouds last eve and its brillance shown across the snow on the ground.  Its light made the night look as day with the help of the snows reflective powers.... I love the nights after snow for that very reason.. Coupled with a full moon it is that much more brillant.   As the day winds down to the night, the sun in finally deciding to peek itself out briefly before slipping back under the western horizon.  Maybe I will see the moon this evening after all.  One can always hope. 

12 comments:

brandi said...

~keeping hoping...as i am doing the same...our sky is gray and cloudy...your pictures capture the true essence of what has been brought forth...i showed my husband and it kind of reminds me of narnia...i am in awe of such a sight as it would be unthinkable for us to experience such weather...i know its cold and causing problems for many but it truly is a breathtaking sight...you are a blessing to all those little birdies keeping them nourished...wishing you all my best under the full moon tonight...brightest blessings~

mxtodis123 said...

Oh, look at that beautiful cardinal. Wow, you sure got hit with it, didn't you? Glad you are okay.
Mary

Mother Moon said...

we received a punch that is for sure yet we were so fortunate... despite the ice we received we still managed to keep our power.. unlike so many around us.... we definatley were being looked out for.... yes.. I agree faerwillow it is somewhat like narnia... now where is my turkish delight...

Mother Moon said...

we received a punch that is for sure yet we were so fortunate... despite the ice we received we still managed to keep our power.. unlike so many around us.... we definatley were being looked out for.... yes.. I agree faerwillow it is somewhat like narnia... now where is my turkish delight...

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Lovely post, I just love cardinals. Think I told you that before. We don't have them here so I will enjoy them vicariously through your photos. Mother Natures fury is so fierce and final. Water, wind, fire, are all such formitable foes to humankind. And yet as you have said it is like a pruning, a culling.

Dede said...

So glad that your power is still on. The pictures are gorgeous, but it looks so cold. Stay warm...

(((HUGS)))

Lyon said...

Your photos are always impressive, but that shot of the cardinal really gave me pause this morning.

I'm glad you're finding enjoyment in your winter wonderland. ;-)

Jblover109Woozworld said...

The cardinal looks beautiful in the icy tree. Yes the quickening of spring starts Feb 1st and I too am lighting a candle to usher it in!

Michel said...

How very beautiful... I am glad that the snow hasn't been causing too many problems for you. It is said that clear warm weather on Imbolc is a sign that the cold of winter will take longer to go :s let us hope that the weather is fine and the saying is wrong :)

Many blessings to you and yours x

Rue said...

Amazing photos! We don't get ice storms here. I know they are treacherous, but they are beautiful! We also don't have Cardinals - such a pretty bird!

Stay warm and safe. Hugs to you!

Unknown said...

What beautiful pictures Mother Moon. I wish I was back home to see all the snow and ice with my family. We only got a teensy bit of snow up here in Kansas. Glad you got to keep your power! I heard initially that the storm was going to be as bad as the one a few winters ago and I'm glad to hear that it wasn't!

Bridgett said...

If you ever decide to sell your land...I want to buy it! :)

What a beautiful place. And these pictures are just amazing.

I'm glad the destruction was kept to a minimum.

Stay warm!