Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Preparing For What Is To Come

Well they have been telling us about it since last Friday.  Warning us that it was going to be a big one and that we had best be ready for a few rough days.  Monday came and the weathermen still urged us to prepare. Now they say that by this time tomorrow we will be under a full blown winter ice storm.  It appears that the brunt of it will pass directly over the top of us.  Something I am not too excited about.  They are predicting anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1 inch thick ice.  Plus the lovely wind is to be blowing at 20 to 30 mph so that will not help matters much.  Not sure if many of you have ever experienced an ice storm.  They are not that much fun.  The worse part is that you usually lose electricity.  Sometimes for weeks. 

The last worse ice storm here was 2 years ago in 2007.  We were without electricity for 4 days.  I can not complain too much with that time as there were many that was without it for much longer.  Yet what hurt me the most was the damage that it done to all the trees.  The weight of the ice is just too much for them to bear. Our willows were brave souls.  They had alot of give to them so they bent without breaking more than most trees, yet still the weight of the ice was too much in some cases.  It was at this time that much of our willows were harvested and pruned back somewhat.  I remember when I went outdoors on this morning.  The wind was blowing very little yet  even still it moved the trees slightly.  The sound they made was like moaning.  You truly could hear their pain and their sadness at what had happened.  Yet for some reason Mother Earth felt it necessary. 

This storm is suppose to be just as bad if not worse.  We have risen early to prepare for it as best we could.  The last storm and loss of electricity encouraged us to purchase a generator.  Vincent being the boy scout that he is of course got one that will run the entire house.  We will be able to stay at home with is a good thing.  We are off this morning to purchase the last few supplies; extra gas for the generator, water, and a few other things.  Hopefully the shelves will not be barren.  Some folks tend to go a bit crazy at times like this, yet it is better to be prepared.  Oklahoma has seen their share of ice storms and we know exactly what they can do.  I am sure there are a few more of you that will be effected by this coming storm... Linda in New Mexico, Steve in Missouri.... Karen in Arkansas... I wish you all well also and hopefully it will not be too bad.... There is also snow so that is not as bad.  I am hoping for at least a little snow as I am still waiting for my quiet still snow this year.... Not sure if I am going to get it. 


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you stay safe, and those photographs are breathtaking. While ice storms certainly cause much trouble, they are a site to see aren't they?

Tracy DeLuca said...

We are looking at heavy rains, possibly, but not much more. You stay safe and warm. Those pictures are beautiful even if they are painful as well!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, ice storms are the worst! Stay safe and warm and I hope your electricity doesn't go off.

Anonymous said...

I am crossing my fingers that will all go up north of me.

Everyone stay safe!!

Bogaman said...

The last one we had was devastating. If you stood outside, you could hear big limbs crashing to the ground all over town. Our trees are just now showing recovery from the damage. The maples suffered the most. Oaks seem to stand up the best under the weight of the ice. Hope it passes you by this time. X.

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

I too am getting ready for this afternoon's weather change. Not looking forward to the winds they say we will have. I have never seen or been in an ice storm but daughter said almost the same thing you have about the trees and their pain. In South Carolina I guess ice storms are pretty common and she and the kids all three have a dread of them.
Your pictures are beautiful, albeit painful as well. Stay warm and safe Janie. (((((hugs))))))

Lavanah said...

I've gone through several (maybe 1/2 dozen) bad ice storms in my life. And my adult reaction is always the same; the re-realization that there is no relationship between beauty and kindness, between beauty and softness. There is little to compare to the crystalline beauty of an ice storm-but it is also the beauty of death.

I hope you aren't hit too hard and that you maintain power.

audrey said...

My brother lives in Northern Texas very close to OK and he is worried about this as well. I hope it isn't as bad as they predict and hopefully your trees will not be damaged.
Stay safe and warm. I will keep you in my thoughts.
♥ audrey

brandi said...

~i have never seen nor experienced nothing like what you have shown...truly unbelievable...i send only well wishes your way to be safe and protected and definitly for the weather man to be WRONG! much warmth to you and yours...brightest blessings~

Anonymous said...

Stay safe & warm )O(

Mother Moon said...

appreciate all the well wishes... the generator is full of gas, have our extra supply in case we need more...we are ready... usually when I prepare so heavily it does nothing.. I could be so hopeful

Dede said...

Oh geeish....So glad that you have a generator, that will help. Stay safe and warm. I was so hoping that the weather man was wrong.Will Vincent be home? I think he and George are on opposite weekends. Waiting for Spring......

(((HUGS)))

Mother Moon said...

for those of you who have asked... yes Vincent is home... and might I add I am more than glad about it..

Anonymous said...

Maybe it will pass you or not be too bad. I do remember ice storms and they are horrible. I hate losing power and water.

Sometimes you don't know what to believe when it comes to the weather. They are calling for us to have alot of snow this weekend, but I am praying for not much.

We have not had a bad winter like this one for over a decade.

My prayers will be with you that you do not lose power when the storm goes through.

Willow

Me said...

Hopefully they are wrong and it will not happen! (Wishful thinking) May the Goddess Bless you all and everyone in the storms path. Becareful!!

*Hugs*

Marie S said...

How can something be so beautiful be so unkind at the same time?
Please be well and stay warm.
Stay safe. Keep us posted if you can.


Thank you so much Mother Moon! The goddesses were made for specific people.
I was given words as prompts and then made the pieces almost by feel.
It is amazing how much came to mind with some of them and how much didn't with others and I had to ask more questions. It was really a gift to be able to do this and get paid for it at the same time.

Emme Toaye said...

The ice photos are beautiful in their way, funny how Mother Nature can be so fierce and beautiful at the same time. Take care Mother Moon, stay safe, stay warm, stay happy in your Ice Kingdom.

Lyon said...

Oh Mamma! Please do be safe and take care of yourselves. I hope it doesn't get too bad for you, but if it does, I do hope you use the opportunity to be stuck at home and burrowed in comfy blankets and sweat pants to the fullest extent! :D

Laura said...

I hope you stay safe and warm during the storm. They have already put us under a winter storm watch, here in NC. Right now they saw we should get mostly snow. I'm excited for it as I love winter so.
blessings
~*~

Leigh said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. Your ice storm photos look all too familiar, though we've been fortunate to not have had a severe ice storm for several years. I sincerely hope this storm isn't too bad for you!

Bridgett said...

Oh my! You be safe, Janie.

Thank goodness you guys sound super prepared.

Your description of the trees moaning and their resulting sadness had me in tears. I kid not.

I'll be thinking of you!!!

Sydnii said...

I remember the ice storm of '07. We were out of power for a week or so. Camden was only four months old. :( Luckily, we had a gas fireplace and generator.

Stay safe and warm!