Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thursday Ramblings.... Just Thinkinig Outloud

Is is obvious that I am in denial about this frigid weather we seem to be having?  Yesterday I received several of my annual seed and flower catalogs and looked through them for hours, many of them more than once.  The bright colors just seemed to warm me  and take the reality of the wind blowing outside and the ice forming on the window away.    I keep telling myself that this is colder than usual, 20 to 30 degrees colder than usual, and that it is only a phase that will pass.  I am hoping that my plans to deceive myself will eventually work.  Either that or warmer more normal temperatures will return.

This time of year also makes me realize that I have lived in Oklahoma far too long to ever transplant myself anywhere else, of course its a remote tropical island that I just happen to fall into.  I am a warm weather girl.  I prefer to wear as few clothes as possible.  Never was too crazy about bundling on layers and try to manuever myself in the cold.  I do enjoy a cold brisk day with no wind, although that is an event that seldom happens here in Oklahoma... Wind is like a constant.  It is the reason that most of the trees here all lean slightly.  And at the moment its a howling outside. 

Vincent has been home the last week, so of course my schedule and routine has been thrown to the wind.  It has been good spending time with him.  We have visited friends and family and just had some good time alone together, but it is time that I get back to my things before I am completely snowed under.  Housework that is not necessarily urgent yet is a weekly routine, daily blog writing, as well as reading of everyones posts, my writing and other things that I do on those days when I am here all alone. 


As you can see although I have not written in a few days there really is not much going on.  Cold... Cold... and more cold... the sun is shining though.  And if you sit in the warmth of the house and just focus on the brillance of its rays flooding through the window you can imagine it a bit more spring like.  I ignore the fact that the pond is totally frozen and there is still snow on the ground that has not had a chance to thaw since Christmas Eve.  And sometimes the ice that has formed on the outside of the window makes it a bit difficult to see, yet I have a vivid imagination and try my best to look beyond all that.... Enjoy your Thursday, and for those of you who are lucky enough to share in my frigid adventures, stay warm... And for those of you who are not as fortunate and have to endure warmer temps... wish you were here....

14 comments:

Bogaman said...

GG and i are serious gardeners. Seems like you order one seed catalog and you're inundated with them. If you like heirloom seeds here is my favorite; Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds- web address is www.RARESEEDS.Com . If you don't already have their catalog, I would recommend it. X.

mxtodis123 said...

I am so glad to hear from you, and believe me, I am with you on this cold weather. Enough is enough. Give me a nice spring breeze, and I will be all right.
Mary

Yart said...

I'm right there with you about the cold.... I like the snow and the peace that come with it. But I really, truly don't like being cold!

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Good Morning cutie. Love the pictures of things to come. Most years, the winter doesn't bug me. I am content in the cold but this year it's really frustrating me. Don't know why....don't hafta know why, just is.
I do know about wanting to stay on task.....or at least I think I used to before the invasion of the herd. Now it's their schedule and I get the leftovers. LOL

pluentl, a little larger than the regular lentils we fix but must tastier, especially with a big ole hame hock. I'm reaching here.

Birgit said...

Sending some sunshine your way! :)

-- Birgit

Toni aka irishlas said...

Ah, we share the same dreams of spring and warm weather, blooming flowers, and cotton tees. Keep looking at the seed catalogs - we'll be blessed with Spring before we know it.

Lyon said...

I feel your pain!

Dreaming of warmer days right along with you.

Lucy said...

Makes me remember my mom. Every January, our mailbox would be flooded with seed catalogs and she would pour over and over them!

Iris said...

Like the others, I feel you on that one. I live in New England. I used to live in sunny Florida. Although I love the climate there, I love the character New England has, not to mention the family we would never leave behind. This winter I have tried to just ignore the freezing temps and pay no mind to any of it yet. The more I complain about it, the more I will notice it. I know that by February I will be complaining enough for all of us! Time seems to fly much quicker now that I have two children. I know this winter will too!

Warm Blessings!

Iris said...

Oh yeah, I also love lesser clothing! Before we had kids, I never wore any at all around the house!

Rue said...

Still waiting on the catalogues - although I've been perusing the websites! I can't wait to plant!

Glad you are getting some Vincent time in - the cleaning will wait. :)

Dede said...

It has been so cold. Spring can't get here fast enough. Going to plant in pots this week, you know to smell the dirt. We did get some sun today and oh it felt so good. Lucky you to have Vincent home for the week. Have another 9 days to go here.

(((HUGS)))

Jblover109Woozworld said...

These pictures are just great and very hopeful for spring. What a cheerful blessing all your lovely photographs are!

Bridgett said...

Ahhh...that sunflower gives me goosebumps and warms my heart. I adore sunflowers, although I prefer the ones with darker centers.

I'm sort of getting that longing for spring too...but it will be here before we know it. Time flies, don't you know? ;)