Friday, January 15, 2010

The Restless Soul


Goodness what a winter this has been.  Colder than normal tempertures, snow out the whazoo....and all the issues that come along with such things.  I know that it is a time of quiet reflection of oneself and all that is around them.  A time to ponder on the things that have occurred in past and what may occur in times ahead.  Many it seems have drawn back into themselves in this time sorting out the things that weigh on their mind.  A bit of a quiet lull has fallen over blog land.  It is not surprising in that the last few months were so full of activity that at times I thought it was too much. One would think I would relish the quiet solitude that seems to be the norm the last week or two. 
Yet as I have greeted the greatly missed sunshine the last few days and the feel of a warm breeze I could not help but get a bit of an urging deep inside of me.  Maybe it is the stirring before spring, although that may just be an excuse because I long so for its arrival.  Yet I can feel the restlessness inside of me.  I long for more time outdoors.  To feel the sun on me, to hear the songs of the birds as they play with one another.  I long to piddle in my garden, clearing the fall and winter debri and making way for the new arrival of the flowers that will bloom soon.  My visions of my secret fairy space are eager to emerge into reality. 


As the the New Moon settles in today I understand more what I am feeling.  The corner was turned as Yule and we began our journey back towards the sun.  Slowly we have been making our way.  Imbolc lies as our next destination.  A time when we  begin to see the signs emerge more vividly thus also the strengthening of the feeling that comes with such progress.  Just as the soft flowers of winter begin to emerge, as the slow warming melts the coldness of winter from us, so also we feel the warmth come back into ourselves. 


The winter is still with us and will be for some time.  Coldness still could come and once again wrap us in its icy cloak.  Yet the wheel still turns and we know it is but a matter of time before the days become longer, the birthing of the spring animals will begin, and  the first signs of life will emerge once more to cover the earth.  The restlessness I feel is many things from the new moon, to the fact that Mercury is no longer in retrograde.  Yet the strongest pull I sense is that of an eagerness to bloom.  I know that it is not time yet.  The seed was planted as it should be and must run its coarse yet still I want it to shoot from the ground which is my being and become what it is meant to be.  I have always been a bit of an impatient one, especially when it is something that excites me.... And I know better than to ask for patience as I will most likely be taught it.  Something which is usually not a necessary plesant thing.

So I wait... quietly and yes patiently.  I wait as each day grows by a minute or two.  As  the sun comes to greet us just a tad earlier and leaves just a tad later each day.  As the earth thaws from the hold of winter's grasp and once again becomes soft and ready for life.  As I myself slowly sprout... all in good time I tell myself... all in good time

11 comments:

OmaLindasOldeBaggsandStuftShirts said...

Janie: eloquent as ususal and so lovely. Thank you so much for you encouragement at a difficult time. Now that I have had time to process, if ever so briefly, I see this as a blesiing. There was an unknown which is really hard to bear. The truth be it ugly is clarity for all of us, now we move forward, deliberately one foot in front of the other with only the now to deal with. Leaving the ugly behind, not that it will go away but be behind us.
I love your spirit. I am so blessed to have you in my life.

vert word...whibra, because without one I would be throwin' um over my shoulder.

mxtodis123 said...

I think many of us are becoming restless about now. Especially on weekends like this. The weather warms up enough to tease...and then suddenly, we'll be back in the frigid cold. I love the spring. When I see the forsythia bloom, I know it is here. I am waiting with you, my friend.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post and I totally agree.

Willow

Unknown said...

I agree with Mxtodis123 on this one. It will be in the mid 60's this weekend, ( although it comes with rain Saturday )and the birds are flying everywhere, it is wonderful.

This is an odd year for me, I am a creature of Winter, but never have I longed for the sun as I have in the last month...

The Earth is stirring...

Ryan Sutton said...

Definitely got a restless brewing within my bones. Still, there's something magical about bundling up warm, and taking a walk through the woods in virgin snow. The hush of the woods, the feeling of slumber... it's a special time. Still, I'm definitely looking forward to Imbolc and spring. Just... not in a huge rush quite yet, still enjoying what has been (for Michigan), a mild mild winter indeed.

Jblover109Woozworld said...

The icy winter cloak is melting here right now. I am sure winter will descend on us again soon. Your seed inside your heart sounds like it is breaking it's shell and stirring to put it's roots down. Soon the spring will return and you can get your hands into the earth again. Take good care now.

Lyon said...

Beautiful post and sentiments I can totally get behind, Mamma. I really long to poke my head out and stretch my arms toward the sun and drink in the warmth and new possibilities again. Soon...

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

I just got a seed catalogue from Burpee and have been looking through it for several days. I too long for some sunshine. I hope the cold winter does not bring on an extreme heat though. You know the little one cannot go out in high temperatures.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words! This time of year is a restless time. It's like we're between things and just waiting : )

Dede said...

A truly beautiful post. It was 71 here today with rain, but that's OK, it was warm. I have never been real good a waiting. Waiting for Spring this year seems like it has been a very long wait.

(((HUGS)))

Bridgett said...

I, too, am feeling a little restless. Yet I find myself happy to hear of another snowstorm brewing too. :)

I'm a contradiction, I guess.

)O(
boo